R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Roll Center question
View Single Post
Old 01-21-2003, 03:00 PM
ScottyP
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default Roll Center question

Hi all,

I was hoping someone could clear up a query I have reagrding 'roll center', which seems to be the latest buzz set-up term.

The question I have is what exactly are people referring to when they say 'raising' or 'lowering' the roll centre?

If I am correct in my thinking, the 'height' of the roll centre means nothing in isolation, only its position relative to the centre of mass of the car is important.

With that in mind, when someone says they are raising the roll centre, do they mean they are moving it closer to the centre of mass and hence shortening the roll coupling? Conversely, lowering the roll centre takes it further away from the centre of mass as the roll coupling is longer.

Further, am I right in assuming that a short roll coupling ('high' roll centre) will have an effect such that the chassis rolls around less, with a long roll coupling ('low' roll centre) having the opposite effect?

Lastly, if the chassis is rolling less with a 'high' roll centre, is this force now being distributed to the tyre? Is that the conventional wisdom?

Hope this all makes sense. Just need someone to confirm if I am correct or way off... most probably the latter!

Cheers,
Scotty P