R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - [{(Settings for TA0-4)}]
View Single Post
Old 01-15-2003, 05:43 PM
psycho
Tech Master

Originally posted by imataquito
hm...... a higher gear ratio = better acceleration??
i dun think so because it only affects the spur and pinion gear combination............

well i have another belt car slimlar basic belt design to the 414 but the internal ratio is 2.246 and the acceleration seems faster ....

any ideas?
I had a similar discussion about this with a buddy that I race with. Our conversation started off as an observation that the TA04 acceleration looks faster than <insert some other competition class car here.> I don't think it's the internal transmission ratio that would cause this because FDR is FDR regardless of how you get there. If anything, I would expect the TA04 to have worse acceleration because of the additional rotating mass of the huge pinion and spurgears compared to, say, a TC3. The only explaination that we could come up with was that the larger pinion and spurgears have less of an angle between the teeth (closer to a straight line) that allows a more efficient mesh of the gears and this translated into faster acceleration. It's a theory, but maybe an explanation for you.