View Single Post
Old 07-24-2006, 07:54 PM
AdrianM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by protc3
purple is fruity!!!
Fruity huh.....

Aren't YOU responsible for bringing this PINK monstrosity into the world(see pic below)...lol!!!!

Alex - We used to run thrust bearing 20 years ago. Now we run thrust cones that push against the outer right hub bearing. If you oil the right bearing up well and dont overtighten the diff it will last a really long time. I run 1/12th twice a month all year long and I usually only have to replace that bearing once a year.

If your diff gets gritty its usully your diff balls and rings. I sand my rings with 600 grit until the groove from the diff rings is gone. This makes your rings last FOREVER. I usually buy standard steel diff balls from IRS in 100pks for ~$8.00. When I rebuild my diff I throw away the diff balls and use new ones. They are cheap and work as well as anything else. I think steel balls slip less (they have a higher coefficient of friction) than ceramic balls and wear your diff rings less.

FYI, IRS steel balls are coated in light oil to protect them. I dump a new tub of them into a towel and wash them with motor spray then wide out the tub. I then put the ball abck and squirt a tube of Associated Stealth Diff Grease into the tub. That way the ball are protected from corrosion and when I rebuild a diff the ball are coated and when I build a diff I just pluck out the ball and put them in the gear. No silicone on the rings is necessary as the balls will carry all you need.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	12th pic 1.jpg
Views:	326
Size:	119.6 KB
ID:	155806