R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - 1/12 forum
Thread: 1/12 forum
View Single Post
Old 06-28-2006, 12:04 AM
odpurple
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by SlowerOne
Adrian, OD - that wasn't the price when they first appeared in Europe (they were twice the price of regular tyres) and they had half the life. Buying donuts and making up tyres is also very popular, and that can't be done with wraps by the racer themselves.

The impression was that these were expensive and with a short life, and that wasn't what we wanted. Since our rule came in the price of tyres in Europe has dropped. Other manufacturers have come in to the market, knowing that if they invest, there is a stable market.

We regard 12th as a relatively low-cost class, and we like to keep it that way. With the cost of TC racing going up all the time, 12th has had many drivers coming in, and low-cost is one of the things they find attractive. Once they realise it is the best electric class of all, they might spend a bit more money, but they stay because they think "just one more race and I can make the A Final" - they're hooked on the racing!!
Your point about mounting your own donuts is well taken. I still do this some but most people here won't do it. And you are also right that they were more expensive when they first came out (of course I have no clue what prices are like in Europe). I am confused about your statement that they have half the life of standard tires, since our experience here is that they wear very well (I guess some people want to run the tires down to the rim!). They also don't seem to chunk as easily as standard tires which also makes them a good value. I'm saying all this as a person who doesn't run wraps, I've just felt that the arguments against them are spurious.
In the end we are talking about the same thing, getting more people into 1/12th. Whatever rule accomplishes this is ok with me.