R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - "de-HOP" a Stampede
View Single Post
Old 05-11-2006, 05:31 AM
Pokerman11
Tech Rookie

Hey guys thanks for the great posts.

It's weird that I never got into R/C cars, I don't live near a lake, nor have a place close by to fly - but live in the middle of the woods and have lots of land. Most of it is farm/forest paths. Got a field that is great to just run around in. (Also a 1/2 mile paved driveway)

Mostly looking to stay on the farm and have fun but also go camping and will take the trucks to the campground. I’d like gas but hate the noise. I have two elec boats, and hate the loud noise the gas boats make. Also have done air but only gliders as again I just don’t like the loud noise when I am outside like that.

So that leaves me with elec. I don’t plan on racing as I don’t think there is a track near me, but just want to have fun. After going thru a lot of posts and other research and looking at my budget down to a TXT or an E-Maxx. Leaning towards the E-maxx as it stock takes two batt packs (longer run time) has the two speed trans, and is a little cheaper. My local shop has them for $308. Just will buy new – guys seem to want way too much for the used ones on ebay

I think most R/C cars/truck come stock designed to run on level ground, so will then figure out how to gear down the e-maxx a bit. Just to set me up to run in grass off-road. Not worried about top end (yet). I figure I’ll burn up the OEM motors then hop up the e-maxx later on – and then I will know more.

What is interesting is that monster R/C trucks don’t due mud very well, like a real monster truck. Well they will do well for a bit until your elec/motor fry – going to look at mods for waterproofing – (perhaps my boat exp will come in handy)

As far as the Stamped I put in a 14 gear pinion (stock was 18), seemed to help a bit. Still the motor makes your spit sizzle (touch a bit a spit to the engine). Being a elec boat guy my engines get hot but if they get this hot I put a water cool kit on them – water cool kit not really an option for a car now is it? Anyway going to just live with the 14 gear pinion and then when this motor burns out swap in a Mabuchi or Johnson 540 motor and then even a smaller pinion.

Tanks again guys

poker