R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Schumacher Corner
View Single Post
Old 05-07-2006, 08:01 PM
Jon Kerr
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by King-G
extremely frustrating weekend at our state titles, was well prepared, had assembled new IB3800 packs, with enough tracktime.....everything went to shite in qualifying, I dumped at around the 4 minute mark in all 4 rounds on saturday. Was running at a reasonable pace (probably around 4th-5th on the grid if I could make time.

In vein I tried a different charger (which pumped in a massive 5000mah into my new IB cells! and still dumped. I then tried a higher wind armature (8x1 v2) and geared down further and then still dumped, I then changed speed controller and still dumped...

My only remaining idea as to what caused the problem was a slightly shorted v2 endbell? drawing excessive current.

In practice I was making time with 9 month old GP 3700 and a different 7x1.

My thoughts are either the new 7x1 motor I ran had a slightlyshorted endbell causing excessive current draw. (as I used the same can - endbell and just changed armature to an 8x1.

or my batteries Internal resistance are soo low they can deliver 4500 - 5000 mah in 4 minutes??

Does anyone know if new Ib 3800 take a few cycles to come to life? as these were brand new and hadnt been cycled?

With the inclement weather on sunday we were given no further opportunities to qualify (straight into finals with only 4 rounds of Qualy, the last round being in almost total darkness! waste of time, as I could barely make out the corners!...lol I was left languishing mid B..

with the shite weather On sunday I had enough and decided not to hang around in the freezing cold rain, It looked like it would be rained out for sure so I headed off around 11.30 (they ended up racing after lunch).

I heard from another racer on sunday that v2's are known to short out, as the only insulation from shorting the pos and neg is the annodising on the endbell? Im curious to hear if anyone knows of this and how to check for it.

absolutley frustrated and dumbfounded. Time to change to brushless!
Man, that sounds like a frustrating day. Sorry to hear about it. All the IB cells I've had have been great from the first charge on. Not once have I dumped with them since I switched to them 8 or more months ago. I do know that some people have had problems with V2 end bells shorting but I've always seen the positive power wire come unsoldered from that. I guess it could be causing it to dump fast if it's shorting out and not unsoldering the lead. I would absolutely try running the same packs again with a different motor. (endbell and all)