R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Hpi Pro 4
Thread: Hpi Pro 4
View Single Post
Old 02-22-2006, 08:15 PM
floodo1
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by thegreatimpulse
Hi guys, especially Greg, MikeR and floodo1. This might be a hard question to answer, but if I am changing my setup from front diff to oneway, should I add more tracktion to the back so the car don't get too loose? Maybe softer rear spring or stiffer front spring?

floodo1, when you said "low droop" do you mean running "lower number" like in setup to add more roll? or do you mean lower the among of droop to reduce roll?

thanks
with a front diff setup you are setting the car up to mechanically create front end bite as well as reduce rear bite. with a one-way setup, especially on a small track, you usually end up trying to reduce front end bite, and prolly increase rear traction as well.

this is because one-way creates tons of front steering on its own, so you need the rear gripping practically as much as possible so it can follow the hardcore front. then once you have max rear traction you will probably still need to reduce front end traction to reduce over steer.

so i feel that the best way to setup one-way is to start with a high bite rear setup, but also one that can transition fast to keep up with the front end. so you would want lighter dampening with more stood up shocks and softer springs, with high inner camber link, with at least .5mm anti-squat and a higher droop number on the kit included droop gauge (which means limited amount of droop).

then from there start tuning on the front end until the car feels balanced. mostly this should mean going with a less darty and less agressive front end. stiff springs, roll bar, dampening, layed down shocks, lower camber link, maybe anti-dive.

but be mindful of the rear end as your getting the balance right, some handling problems may be caused by the rear end setup, so watch out for that and adjust the rear end if you see any problems like that.

specifcally a common problem with too soft of rear end and one-way is that the car will spin or oversteer too much on straight to sharp hairpins. This sort of problem shouldnt be solved by even further decreasing steering, but by tuning rear end to not over roll in a corner like that, usually by increasing sway bar / springs.

usually a one-way car has good on-power steering, so you can often run stiffer rear springs to help with rear roll control, without too much bad effect on f/r weight trasnfer.

basically the key is just to realize that when you get off the gas the car will gain a TON of steering, so dont go letting off unless you're ready to get steering. also throttle control is REALLY important because learning to let off certain amounts to get certain amounts of steering is important. also feathering of the throttle doesnt work well as the car goes through basically shudders front-to-rear wise.