R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Team Associated TC4
View Single Post
Old 12-29-2005, 12:29 AM
koabich
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Speedo
I remember talking on the phone with Niftech years ago, and hearing that ceramic balls, while very hard, are much harder than the diff rings and will simply wear the diff rings out faster. For this reason I never go out of my way to use ceramic balls.
Yeah, I stated that in my post right above your's but how much more often is the question? It's not like diff rings are expensive or a pain in the butt to replace.

If you get 1 month out of diff rings using steel balls, you'll get 3-3.5 weeks from your diff rings using ceramic balls. Does that make that much of a difference to you? Considering the fact that you will have a better diff all the way around that requires less maintenance. Considering you'll never have to replace the diff balls again. Heck, buying 2 sets of stell balls costs more than buying one set of ceramic balls. The 2 sets of steel balls with last you what 2-3 months of racing? I've had the same set of ceramic diff balls in my TC3 for over 2 race seasons and they are still perfect as the day I bought them. And using ceramic diff balls may have made me to replace my diff rings about 3-4 times more than I normally would have with steel balls during that 2.5 yar period.

You have to use them first THEN come back and say why you will not use them anymore. But i'd bet you dollars to donuts that once you use ceramic you'll never look at steel balls again.