R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Veteran TAMIYA TA03 fans!
View Single Post
Old 11-05-2002, 06:10 PM
psycho
Tech Master

ShadowAu

I'm more or less in a similar situation with my 03RS. I just converted it to an "F." It seems to still push quite a bit, but not as bad. Here's some things that you might find useful. First off, the steering does not have a lot of throw to begin with. I'm pretty convinced that there is no way to make the car steer like my Losi XXX-S, but fortunately for me, I'm only racing the car against other Tamiya tub chassis cars. I would seriously consider some different tires. I think 42's are too hard. It would probably work well on a nitro car since it's much heavier. I'd probably go to 40's all around or 40 front 37 rear if the backend gets happy. Also, you didn't say what tire diameter you are running. If you run a larger diameter, you'll have more side bite and, in this case, that may be befeficial. I've found that droop is one of the most effective tuning settings on this car. Granted, I'm more or less running it box stock, but the same things apply. I run around 2mm droop up front and 4mm droop in the rear. Since my car undoubtedly has different shock bodies that you are running, you'll have to experiment with spacers and o-rings on the shock shafts to achieve that setting on your car. Sway bars reduce the amount of chassis roll that you have. When you have steering to spare, that can be a good tuning item. I don't think you can afford to give up any steering on this car. Finally, check your diffs. If the front diff is too loose, the inside tire will unload and the car will push. If the rear diff is too tight, the rear tires will not be able to rotate at different speeds easily and the car will push. I would start with the rear diff as loose as you can go without slip and tighten the front diff up a bit, but not too tight. Since it's a pita to adjust the balldiffs on that car, my thoughts are with you! I hope that gives you something to go on. Other things that you can try are raising the ride height and running a body with less downforce on the front. You can also generate more mechanical grip by playing with the dampening. Without seeing how the car behaves on the track, it's hard to offer advice on that other than to buy a shock pump so you can easily change oils at the track. You might try going with 60 weight oil and see how it behaves. You might have too much roll, though. Good luck!