R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Best upgrade for $150
View Single Post
Old 12-25-2005, 11:41 AM
BiggAlz
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by FrankW
If you want to race, I would recommend getting the following first:

27 turn stock motor (probebly best to race in the stock class at first, novice-class if they have it)
A selection of pinion gears
A couple sets of tires
A stock spring set
A selection of shock oils
A selection of hex wrenches (those little "L" wrenches won't cut it)
Ride hieght and Camber guages.
A protoform Stratus 3.0 or Mazda 6 body
A few sets of brushes for your new stock motor

These items are not so much upgrades as they are accessories that are essential for a good racing platform.

After those, look into a nice ESC. Like others have said, a used GT-7 would be a good choice. Other good choices would be a Quantum Competition 2 and Tekin G-10 or G-11.

After that it would probebly be a good idea to get a new/better radio set-up. Doesn't have to be too fancy, but a computerized FM radio would be a good idea, like a Futaba 3PM or an equivilant from another manufacturer. They're more adjustable and allow you to make the most of your car. It would also be a good idea to upgrade your servo. I like the Futaba digital servos, but on a lot of my sport running vehicles I use the Hitec HS-635.

And then after that... top quality batteries and top quality charger. I like my SMC IB3800 packs and my LRP Pulsar Competition 2 charger.

Other stuff you'll probebly want to get at some point in time are: a Set-up station, comm lathe, tire lathe.

Then after that, save up your money so you can get a Factory Team TC4. Then you'll have one of the best cars out there, and use can use your TC4 RTR platform for parts, or you can sell it to recoup a little of your investment.

-Frank
thats kinda what i was tryin to say...his ESC is "raceable"...he needs the essentails before the needs to upgrade raceable eqpt........if you are ravcing TC with foams...you will forsure want a decent motor..tools..springs and tires....