R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - 1/12 forum
Thread: 1/12 forum
View Single Post
Old 10-05-2005, 03:46 PM
timmay70
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I think the point that people miss with all 1/12th scale cars is that you have to be precise; precise when building, precise when adjusting, precise when driving, precise when prepping. For all carpet racing, being precise is important, however, it is more important in 1/12th. I started years ago with a 12L, graduated to the 12Lw, I hated T-bars then, I still hate them now. Why? because they are very not precise. If you buy several to stock up for big races, or just to have so that you don't need to run to the shop and spend precious time there waiting for a clerk to get you the t-bar you want.. sorry, that is another gripe. If you check through all those t-bars you have on hand and measure the thickness, you will find that they not only vary in thickness from bar to bar, but also from end to end. If you pop a board, even a little, it can stress one side of the T-bar making it handle inconsistantly from side to side causing the car to feel tweaked. This leads to being imprecise, bad for 1/12th scale cars that are greatly effected by small adjustments.

If you assemble any 1/12th scale car imprecisely, it will be a handful. I also feel the same way with a sedan, however, with a sedan being bigger, it can be more forgiving, allowing one to manage during a race with it enough to not have to drop out.

I think that once you have assembled the link car (in my case, the Rev. 4 from Speedmerchant) paying attention to all the little details, the car will be that much easier to drive out of the box. Before I even took one lap, I had a local 1/12th hotshoe look over my car and make suggestions and help with adjustments. The only adjustments that I am forced to keep up with now is due to tire wear. I still check my springs to make sure that I did not damage them in any on-track skirmishes, but those are quick checks. Replacing a collapsed spring is far easier than pulling everything out to replace a t-bar. I also wouldn't need a dremel to make room for the motor every time I replace the T-bar.