R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Yokomo MR-4 TC Thread
View Single Post
Old 10-03-2002, 12:09 AM
johnbull
Tech Master

Hi guys. Greetings from Malta.

TYRES.

I am presently running Sorex 28 on my Yoke SP. I have used Pits, Take Off, Orion, HPI, Yokomo, the lot.

The Take off is very consistant and lasts well. The Sorex has more grip, is brilliant when new, but goes off quickly, and wears fast. Ok if your pockets are big. The softer Yoke compounds are about the same - the hard ones just don't have the grip. The HPI and Orion tyres offer less grip and are inconsistant. The Pits D30 is probably the best all rounder, when used with a soft moulded insert that fills the tyre. It doesn't have the initial grip of the Sorex, but you can do quite a few 5 minute runs, even with modified - on asphalt, before they start going off, so they are excellent value for money. They don't last for ever like the Take Offs do, but they do give more grip.

That's just my experience. I suppose things vary with different tracks. For example, racing at West London in England we found the Pits D25 worked well, even on a hot day, and with their own very soft insert.

I am racing in stock this season, as I just cannot race in the same class as my son. Our season starts Sunday week. I have prepared 2 MR4 SPs and am testing quite a bit at the moment. it's looking good.

Regards

Joe from sunny Malta.