R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Losi XXX-S
Thread: Losi XXX-S
View Single Post
Old 10-02-2002, 08:56 AM
sixandeightstri
Tech Adept

I just wonder if by moving the steering via a very short left to righ throw with your thumb would make you any faster than grasping a steering wheel with 5 fingers. It seems you could be more accurate and supple with steering unputs with a stick than a wheel. Just my thoughts.
And perceptive thoughts at that. That is how I feel about my stick radio. Many stick radio users also tout far better throttle control.

I use sticks mostly because almost every car I've ever owned since the late 70's through the 80's has come with a twin-stick radio (toys on up to hobby-level RTRs.) I'm so used to controlling the car with sticks that the wheel radio just isn't comfortable and doesn't feel as natural. I do like the consistency of sticks - the positioning on a stick is the same every time, whereas on a wheel if your grip is slightly different you have to adjust your "feel" for where the steering rate falls. Also, there is far less muscular effort involved in driving with my two thumbs rather than with my whole right forearm, wrist and hand and my left hand grip.

Really, just as the argument for a Losi vs. an Associated vs. a Schumacher vs. a (insert brand here) goes, it all comes down to personal preference. I drive better with a stick radio, so I use a stick radio. My teammates all drive better with pistol radios, so they drive with pistols. Sticks aren't better, they're better for me. Which is why the comment:
pistol grip is the way to go for r/c.
...should have been preceded with an "IMHO."