R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Cyrul's Break in Procedures
View Single Post
Old 07-22-2005, 04:25 PM
Artificial-I
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Josh Cyrul
fastharry - Your engine should drop in temp over the next 5-10 tanks and you probably will have to lean it out a bit. A lot of the time, my method still leaves the engine with a nice pinch after you run through the procedure which I think is still good as it allows you to spend those 5-10 tanks getting the clutch and everything set just right. From there the engine should run nice and consistant with loads of power.

I used this process on the engine in my RRR and I ran it at the Worlds (1hr), then a Toledo club race (about 1hr 20min) and then all of practice, qualification (approx 50min) and the final at the ROAR Nats (1hr). I would say the engine has over 5 hours on it and all I ever do is just slightly adjust the top needle to get the right mix to match the air temp. Never popped a plug, and tech at the Nats had trouble checking the engine because the pinch was still good enough that it would push the sleeve out of the case at top dead center. Oh yeah, I also used O'Donnel 20% fuel at the Nats!!!

Let me know if anyone has any questions.... I'll be glad to help if I can...
Wow thats pretty wild. The same plug still you say. Its pretty cool that you can continue to kick butt with this motor and the same plug at these events. I also find it really kinda cool that you dont swap it out after every race which im sure some of the top folk might do?

Maybe its better to stick with the same so you know its the exact same mixture each time you crank it?

Also I would really love to hear your thoughts on the heat cycle / idle method. Like would you try it on your next motor? Basically heat cycle it 2-3 minute intervals at idle up to 180F for just one tank. Then proceed to do the wot method or do you feel this would pretty much ruin the WOT method. Im just scared about the tightness of the motor and would think this first easy start before the wot method might yeild a more reliable motor, like con-rod stress and other odd things.

Given your "the man" at the wot method I would seriously love to hear what you think of this add-on to your method and maybe even the on / off throttle blip method as well. Like I said love to hear your thoughts on a motor broken in that way if you ever get the time to try these add-ons.

Maybe you already have tried these methods? Either way would like to hear the comparisons straight from you...cause I cant think of anyone better to listen to.

Thanks Josh. Good luck at your next races!