R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Team Associated TC4
View Single Post
Old 06-10-2005, 07:20 PM
futureal
R/C Tech Founder

Originally Posted by Rocky
I just read through Xtreme RC's review of the TC4 and it seemed to think the braking, low speed handling, and high speed handling weren't up to par or not as good as they could be. So, from actual racers with experience, what are your thoughts on these areas and have you noticed similar trends?
Okay, here's the original post that started a few of you, particularly Boomer, taking shots at MY review. Since some of you seem to think that my and our work at Xtreme is worthless, I challenge any of you (especially you Boomer) to counter anything I wrote in that article.

First, reviews HAVE to be based on what comes in the box, for a couple reasons. Primarily, when we write it, the option parts for a brand new car are not yet available. With the TC4, I did not have access to some things (caster blocks in particular) but others (the one-way and steel diff housings) were carried over from the TC3. Tony and Bob were nice enough to let me use a few parts as well. But beyond availability, everything we grade a car on (value, completeness, race-readiness) is based on out-of-the-box. If we allow hop-ups, when does it end? Are we reviewing a $220 car or a $500 car? Do we review the car when it comes out and then again every six months?

Regarding this particular review: as stated in the low-speed section, dropping a one-way in the car and making setup changes really helped it. The rating, however, was based on what the car came with out of the box. The high speed rating was simply my experience. If you did not have that experience, all the better for you! But three of us in the office drove the car, and I put two full race days on it, and could not solve that particular issue. Others with the kit never experienced it. Keep in mind that this was one of the first kits produced, and AE did correct a mold problem immediately (kudos to them!) that helped fix that very issue.

The TC4 is a great car, and that gets proven over and over at both the club and the pro level. Craig just won the biggest race of the year with the FT, and Mike Blackstock was extremely strong at the Snowbirds and other races with the Team kit. Like any new car, it took people (including me) some time to get it figured out, but you have to expect that.

As for magazine detractors, you guys love to say how magazine reviews are worthless because they are dishonest, cover up problems, and so on and so forth. Well, if you read our magazine (and yes, I mean actually READ it, not just say "oh I read an issue back in '98 so I'm an expert") you will see that we do thoroughly test everything, and that we actually point out anything that we feel is a problem or worth mentioning.