R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - 1/12 forum
Thread: 1/12 forum
View Single Post
Old 05-01-2005, 06:42 PM
Hyperform Racing
Tech Master

Default Re: Chassis Plates

Originally posted by PMK
Curious if anyone here has analyzed the layups of a broken chassis plate? I ask since I have a have worked aerospace composites for a while and was curious if the different brands all use similar layups or do they have proprietary carbon sheets.

My oem L4 took a wack so I kind of studied it a little but not enough to make it unrepairable. Seems like they are stacking double plys together with a scrim between each paired set.

This seemed suprising as the same type methods were used in the early days by Composite Craft. I would think the technology would be further than this after 15 years.

And why does everyone use a plain weave fabric? At least that's all I've noticed. So many other choices.

PK

Jag has that car even run yet? 1/12 is picking up and may surpass 1/10 on Wednesday nights.
Cost, it's all about cost. If I told you what AE pays for one of their L4 chassis, you would cry. The majority of manufacturers use bi-directional which is one of the cheapest carbon fiber plates available. That woven layer is just on the top and bottom for looks. I searched around for a while and the best I could find was four directional quasi-isotropic plate. It's far stiffer and although it's significantly more expensive, I'll be using it on our 12th scale and fk05 carpet cnversion.