R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - 1/12 forum
Thread: 1/12 forum
View Single Post
Old 08-03-2002, 12:31 AM
darnold
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Kev- BTW, Jucha's going to beat you over the head with James wet TC3 noodle and you're going to like it and I'm going to tell everyone on this tread. LOL, LOL, hehehehe!!!!

Alvin- quick clarification (yeah right, coming from me???), with the negative castor block in your car will steer "less" as the suspension compresses (going into a corner). The reason why it steers "more" than with the positive blocks is due to all of the negative castor that you are starting out with. Reactive Castor typically changes about 2deg. So with the -5deg blocks in you are going to -3deg castor which will still give more turn in than +3deg castor that you go down to with the +5deg blocks. With the negative castor blocks when you come out of the corner and the front end starts to uncompress (raise) you go back to the -5deg castor which isn't as much on throttle steering as +5deg castor with the positive castor blocks. This is why you are experiencing the extremes that you are. Remember less castor at less throttle = more steering and more castor at more throttle = more steering but less castor at more throttle =less steering and more castor at less throttle = less steering. So when you have sweepers where you are going at a good rate of speed through you want more castor and when you have to slow down for hair pins and other tight corners you want less castor. That's why reactive castor works because with the positive castor blocks in you will get less castor when you slow down for tight corners (suspension compresses) which equals more steering and you will get more castor coming out of the corners or through fast sweepers (suspension uncompresses) which equals more steering in those instances. I think your negative castor blocks give you an unusual option that once in a great while could be an advantage but in most cases you won't want to use them. If you have too much steering coming out of the corners you can put in less static castor or use harder front springs or less tire traction on the front tires.