R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2
View Single Post
Old 10-23-2017, 07:08 AM
ASM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Originally Posted by theproffesor
Well, I’ve now experienced it myself. The PF tires are a bit of a handfulll on asphalt. While I was able to set fast lap and TQ in the third qualifier at the inaugural I-20 super speedway electric on road showdown, I ran a worn set of HPI’s in the main and set a new fast lap by .5 seconds and got an extra lap in.

I tried several configurations of tire sauce, tire warmers, and belt dressing to get the PF tires to work. This is even after a hefty heat cycle and saucing routine at the house before I left.

In the end I used a heavy coating of traction compound, let dry, then a coating of belt dressing to work the best. The tires came in after a few warm up laps but still required an easy trigger finger to keep from drifting out.

I think these tires will do fine if we can come up with a way to soften them up. Maybe a set ran for a full indoor season will make a good set for the next outdoor season.
Thanks for the information on what you're seeing. Much of this may translate for me as my local track is low to med grip asphalt as well. What springs are you running on your car? Thanks!