R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Team CRC Xti 1/12th Scale!!
View Single Post
Old 07-13-2017, 02:04 PM
DesertRat
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Ted Su(TW)
Hi guys,

A couple of questions here, hope to find some help:

3. What will happen if my ball diff is not ultra smooth? Let say after 5-7 5 minute runs after complete rebuild. My car over steers unpredictably, after 2-3 minutes, I'm trying to find out the problems.

Thank you very much for your time.
I think I know what the problem may be, as my car diffs can do something similar.

I assemble diffs with as little grease as possible so the 'bite' of the ball is good and the diff wont slip. What this means though is that the grease can run out within a few races, especially if I am running some Mod and when my diff starts getting dry it will start to heat up and tighten, causing oversteer. When I say heat up, it's still not HOT, but enough to cause what when cool feels like a good diff to become bad after putting some power through it. I would spin up your diff for a minute to simulate racing, then see if it tightens, and if it does I would do a clean-out.

Especially if running more power than 17.5, I do diff cleanouts often. I simply take apart the diff, clean out the dust, and re-assemble with the same components but fresh grease. Set the tension and give it a few spins with the motor, and good to go. You almost never need to your diff balls or other parts in the diff unless they have seen a lot of abuse.

I would also recommend Xenon gears. They are 16 ball gears but work perfectly fine with 8 or 12, and they are the most true gears I have ever run.