R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Old TC Cars - Still Racing Competitively
View Single Post
Old 07-06-2017, 02:45 PM
sosidge
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Nitrofish48
Thanks for the help guys! 3D printing a battery tray would be really cool but thats too complicated for me I think and I looked at Exotek and couldn't seem to find what you were talking about. I also do have the current Xray lipo cups but where I need to mount the battery for weight distribution they don't work.

What I have decided I'm gonna try is to take some poster board and cut it to my battery and where I want it on the chassis and then drill a hole on either side to mount that through the top battery strap posts. I think if I layer the poster board that should give me the thickness and rigidity I need. Then hopefully the battery strap still holds it down. If not I could always make the poster board work. What do you guys think, am I stupid in doing this? lol
There are better materials that you can work with.

I have made LiPo retainers in the past out of "plasticard" - sheets of plastic typically a couple of mm thick that you can cut and drill easily, and then glue together to make them stronger. You should be able to get it in a general model shop (the kind that caters for model builders as well as RC car racers).

You could also get hold of some nylon bar - eBay seems to have made it a lot easier to get small quantities of engineering plastics. A little harder to work with than the plasticard but more robust.