R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - SWOLLEN LIPO
Thread: SWOLLEN LIPO
View Single Post
Old 06-19-2017, 03:56 PM
fredygump
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Rahdog07
How do you guys dispose of your batteries. It still works I am just afraid of it now. I tried the freezer trick and it went down but as soon as it got back to room temp it had swollen back up.
just looking for the best way to get rid of it.
I've seen a youtube video of the salt brine thing where the pack still explodes when punctured, after like 3 weeks! So no, that method does not really work. Plus...anybody notice that it takes multiple weeks?

1) Get a small-ish light bulb, (I have a couple 25 watt halogens), connect it to your battery, and walk away. How long it takes depends on the wattage of the bulb...in my case it was about 30min with 2 bulbs going.

2) When you come back, and the bulb is not lit up any more, the battery will be 100% discharged. Maybe check with a volt meter to make sure? The pack will get a little warm in the process, but nothing exciting. Do it outside if you are worried...

3) Cut off battery the connector, strip back insulation, and twist wires together. Secure wires together with wire nut or electrical tape. This makes it impossible for the pack to build up any charge after you drain it.

If you do this, your pack is guaranteed 100% safe. Poke it. Stab it. Throw it through a wood chipper. Nothing is gonna happen.