R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - School me on Diff set-ups please
View Single Post
Old 05-11-2017, 10:51 PM
nubs
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ixlr8nz
The problem is the set up guides are very general and often not written to specific situations. For example with a spool more droop = understeer due to the inside wheel not diffing out — like a go—kart going slow. However with a ball diff more droop = more grip at that end due to more tyre contact. Its not really a one size fits all situation. Also people get this idea that less droop means less roll. Look closely and you will often see wheels in the air due to little droop, but the car still rolls. If you want less roll then raise your roll centre or change springs/anti roll bars.

The other factor that goes against this theory, is the suspension that becomes maxed out due lack of droop goes from being sprung weight, to being unsprung. This would affect the balance somewhat.

Lastly, you will only see changes in handling when the droop limit is reached. For example if all four wheels never leave the ground, then it makes no difference what your droop setting is.
But it does matter my friend. As I explained your wheels don't need to leave the ground for one to have more traction than the other.