R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - School me on Diff set-ups please
View Single Post
Old 05-11-2017, 06:16 AM
LJH
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Will27
I think I see it. If the inside front droop screw is touching the chassis under max lateral roll, it takes some weight off the inside front wheel reducing its grip and the understeer caused by the spool.
This is how I was envisioning it, at least for the exit of the turn when applying power. The inside front wheel is un-weighted causing most/all the power to be transmitted to the ground through the outside wheel. Being that the outside wheel is the driving force and the drive is asymmetric the car is pulled by the outside wheel which introduces a bit of yaw and helps turning. I have to put more thought into what happens on entry and mid turn.

Something else I was wondering about, do AWD touring cars suffer from torque steer? If they do I would think it would be pretty minimal because the half shafts are equal length. Why I ask is that back when I was racing one of my best friends campaigned a MK1 GTI in DSP (D Street Prepaired). We installed a Quaife differential (limited slip). Even in this low power application it was a huge help in putting the power to the ground but boy you had to hang onto the wheel as each tire grabbed for traction....the first time I drove that car with the Quaife it was a bit scary as the wheel tried to go every which way depending on what tire had more traction.

Cheers,
Jim