R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - 1/12th scale rubber tires
View Single Post
Old 05-10-2017, 11:50 PM
InspGadgt
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Metalsoft
My OCD will not allow that. I hated chunking a foam tire. Ran fine, just look like (crap)which drove me insane.

Yeah my OCD is that bad....
Take your excess foam from cutting, drop some contact cement in it and roll it up into a ball big enough to fill the chunk area and glue it in place with contact cement. Once it's dry re-true it and it'll be nice again.

Originally Posted by skater-deez1
I'd lean more towards body choices as a reason for wgt to suffer a bit, usgt has an appeal for that reason alone. What did wgt have like 3 body choices........this ain't Russia!
There were a few more choices than 3 but not much more. And usually only 1 or 2 that would work well enough to be competitive. I agree though the lack of good body choices did not help. Look at what classes seem to be catching on the best lately...those are classes with nice scale looking bodies...not ones that are super dependent on aerodynamics. But that's where my conundrum is...the aerodynamic bodies are the most fun to drive.

Originally Posted by bbarnhardt
1/12 needs to stay foam! End of story! Idk why people want to spec every class to death. If you wanna race a class with rubber tires there are many others pick one. I don't wanna hear the whole foam tires are expensive. It's racing yes some people are going to cut them smaller and go through a lot more tires but that's there choice. If you're fine running larger foam tires and are just there to have a good time great! But to be competitive at the top you'll need to cut them smaller which will lead to using more sets of tires. Rubber tires make cars drive a lot different. I personally like the crisp feel of foam tires. 1/12 is the one class left that you still have options don't spec it to death. It's coming to the point might as well just give everyone a participation ribbon too!
Well if there were several options of rubber tires it wouldn't necessarily need to be a spec class. But there in lies the problem...typically with rubber tires there is only 1 or 2 that will work on any given track so it still isn't the tuning aid foam tires are. As much as I prefer foam tires on pan cars...I gotta admit there is some appeal to never having to true tires again and having tires that last a lot longer.