R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Roche Rapide F1-2016
View Single Post
Old 05-02-2017, 11:48 PM
sbd
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by bkspeedo
Hi Ralph,

As many have mentioned to me over the past few weeks. This evidently is not how the roll center of a pan car is raised. Supposedly its done only by raising the pivot points. I still don't understand the geometry of a pan car i guess.

However, with that said and dumb luck, i can tell you from lots of testing. This mod does make the car rotate better around a corner. F1's with Shimizu tires are very stuck in the rear on CRC black carpet in high grip. This helps free up the car.

I experimented with stock position, 1 mm, and 1.5 mm. 1.5 was way to much, very hard to drive. I'm currently running .75 mm and feel it's optimal.

I don't recommend this for low grip conditions. The car will spin-out mid corner.

Sometimes the best new discoveries are made by accident. If no one has tried this on a 12th scale it may be worth some experimentation. There were some things tried at MHIC this year that I've never seen before and they worked.
Interesting experiment, but I think the same effect could be accomplished by changing the side spring with harder ones. This would have exactly the same effect - raising the rear roll stiffness. Raising stiffness through the side springs is way more easier and flexible.

It is different story if you want to introduce some self steering of the rear wheels. On your car this could be done by changing the shims at the front of the links. Removing the shims should introduce roll oversteer.
DavidNERODease is right - you dont want to raise your rear roll center.