R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Dealing with slop: Is this something that everyone does?
Old 05-02-2017, 10:24 PM
4roller
Tech Addict

I would say that removing all the slop in a car is really only for someone who will meticulously clean their car after a handful of runs many. I went about removing most of the slop from my xv-01 with ultra thin metal shims. Worth it in the end because the car drives much more precise and predictable. The diffs are super smooth, the steering is very precise. However in the search to have 0 play in my suspension, no stiction and generous flop, after a couple of street runs I found that the arms started to bind because of debris from the road. Road grime built up an caused the suspension to stick. So with that I removed a couple of 0.2 mm shims and lived with a tiny bit of slop but now basically maintenance free.

If you want to keep things super slop free, shims and all, a drop of light oil usually does the trick it lubricants the joint, while pushing the crap out. Wipe clean then go driving. That little bit of maintenance might be all you need to run slop free. I think it's worth it. I can't stand sloppy mechanical parts.