R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Tamiya Euro Truck Class
View Single Post
Old 04-24-2017, 05:59 PM
bdemegs
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Originally Posted by eR1c
Okay, I have two full race days under my belt on this car and plenty of practice.

My observations,

Friction damper position (inner vs outer hole and every combo -front inner rear outer, and vice-versa) doesn't not seem to make a difference. I raced w/ some fast guys, the top two both ran different damper positions. I have tried all and can't tell a difference.

Heavy oil vs light oil on friction dampers. I have tried no oil, thin grease and heavy 1mil tacky diff oil. Top drivers at our track went for thin smooth NOT tacky or thick. I'd say that using tacky 1mil diff was bad and didn't allow the car's dampers to actually do their thing. Made the ride too hard and thus extra bouncy.

Driving style seems to be key. Hard exhilaration then jam on the breaks before the turn then hard exhilaration again. I avoid most of the bouncies w/ this technique. Coming in to turns w/ a ton of speed does not seem to work well, otherwise you hop all over the place. I have my brakes set to about 60% of full breaking, thus my brakes are a bit "soft" ...so it doesn't stop in place yet slows nicely when I "jam" the brakes.

I am running my car box stock w/ exception of bearings (per rules for the various clubs I've run with). I've heard rumor of people cheating around the pits, and have had other drivers recommend I try things that are not legal w/ my truck. I don't care to take part in any of that so won't even mention what techniques I've heard. -but I am sure people are cheating. I'd rather lose honestly than win dishonestly.

-----
I am running the front diff w/ extra TAmiya anti wear grease and the rear w/ the recommended amount. I plan on trying various weights in the diff and see how that helps/hinders.

--
keep in mind this is just my experience and my 2 cents. Hope it helps.

I'd love to hear what works w/ the diff if anyone has tried (no oil, med, thick -front/rear)?
Firstntime out i ran with 200k in the front diff. Kit tamiya grease in the rear. Some 200k on the friction dampers. Can't say i recall how my shocks are mounted. First week both my sons and my truck were like this and were on point all night. Last week we both struggled, but i didn't do any maintenance so its ptobable that the shocks need cleaned and redampened.