R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Tamiya XV-01
Thread: Tamiya XV-01
View Single Post
Old 04-18-2017, 11:46 PM
Shimmy
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

I think you might be onto something about the TC bits reducing the "ring of death".
By looking at it, I think there's a considerable amount of positive scrub radius which may help explain why the front wears quicker and worse than the rear.

I've been rotating my tyres front to rear too, trying to make them last longer.

I've had maybe 20 or so packs through my XV now, the Tamiya blocks were gone in about 17, I didn't realise how long they did actually last until I thought about it.
With less camber and maybe camber gain, I'm hoping they'll last longer.

I'm only going to buy cheap tyres anyway, I'm not racing it or anything.

When I was a young kid, I wanted to get an on-road RC but my parent's couldn't really afford to, but when I was able to buy things for myself, I got a Stadium Truck (Losi Desert Truck, when they first came out about nearly 10 years ago I think).
Since then it's all been off road, more stadium trucks, 2wd buggies, truggies.
Mostly for racing, as I pretty much stopped bashing when I started racing.

Suspension setup has always been an interest of mine also, although it can be a bit overwhelming at times with how much is adjustable and what does what.
I probably enjoyed it as much, or more than the racing itself.
But as with all other "use it or lose it" things, my memory of it isn't as it used to be.

I think the XV-01 chassis is somthing that'll always be a compromise and be very difficult to consistently get balanced and de-tweaked.

Yeah, the CVA's aren't terrible but not great.
Pistons are their biggest downside.
I think I will still try those CC-01 alloy shocks, until I manage to find something better anyway.

I have put the single hole pistons in the front though with the kit shock oil.
It's a little better and worse though, it dampens better but I think it packs up a bit too hard.
I suspect a lighter oil will be a bit better.
I think I have some 40 weight I can try.