R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - What is bump steer?
View Single Post
Old 03-26-2017, 06:06 PM
JAE
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)
Default Changing bumpsteer when shortening camber link?

Does camber link positioning change bump steer? Ex: my buggy is an rb6 and at 25 degrees caster it was noted zero bumpsteer shims on the hub/knuckle were needed to achieve zero bumpsteer. However, I have shortened my front camber link to the outer hole on the tower (kit is middle), as well as took the 1mm shim off the ballstud. Will this change my bumpsteer since I am increasing cambergain with a very short front link? Thx all

Originally Posted by butch man
You can change bump steer by adding or subtracting shims at akerman plate or knuckle.Most cars can be modded enough to make it toe out at full compression or full extention. Most people find it best when max bumpsteer(toe out) is at full extention.That will help coming out of corners & not cause problems at other times. Some MFG build max bump steer(toe out) at max compression & that will make the car violently twitchy at the absolute worst times like jump landings,ruts,or simply a gentle way on the straight that compresses the susp. Nobody has designed a buggy without bumpsteer,thats almost impossable but like mentioned above it can be changes & moved around. Look at the front of your car from head on & note the difference between angles of the steering link & axles.If you could keep those 2 lined up perfectly through the entire susp throw you would have close to zero bumpsteer. I usually split the difference between the 2 like if theres a 4 deg difference at full extention then I shim to get 4 deg at full compression but on the opposite angle. It should work out like this,instead of 2 deg of toe out at the top or bottom you get 1 deg at top & bottom or what ever combination you want. With my last car it had enough bumpsteer to be considered a problem by most drivers & I put alot of effort into removing as much as possable.The car I drive now has about 0.5deg of bump & thats so little I have never bothered working with it. Its up to you & what you like & if your really bored you can also change the width of your akerman plate & do radicle changes with that. With all that said you know of corse that as soon as you turn the wheels from center all the work you did goes out the window.