R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Which Car for USGT
View Single Post
Old 03-23-2017, 12:11 PM
Flash74
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

The first question I would ask myself is, what parts are available locally? What does Mikes Hobby Shop carry? The second question is what do the others racers run? If you pick something that has parts stocked where you are going to race, or what other racers are using, your day wont end with a simple part breaking. If you use what the other racers are using, then you can get all sorts of help. Where I am from if you break a part or you are having trouble on the track, 5 people will stop by to either offer parts or advice. In 8 weeks I went from last place 8-10 laps down to 1st to 4th and 1-2 laps down depending on who's running and which class. All from people helping me out at the track. Some of those that helped are now chasing me.

I have not used any of the cars you listed except for the TT02. My advice, stay away from the TT02. It is little more than toy grade and is heaps of frustration for me. I am an engineer, and I cant get the suspension slop out of the thing. Stock parts, aftermarket parts, you name it, nothing has helped. My 8yo refuses to drive the thing since it wont hold a straight line for 10 feet. That's from my experience, I know others have had luck with the TT02.

I am partial to the Associated TC6, 6.1 and 6.2 cars. I was lucky enough to get some good deals in the $125-$175 range and have picked up 4 of the cars in the last couple of months (USGT, VTA, Oval, 17.1). Most of the cars came with some of the electronics so I didn't have to spend to much to get them going. All of the cars came with plenty of spare parts so I am stocked for quite a while. I race at a hobby store that has plenty of TC6 parts available and several of the other racers run the same cars so parts availability is not a problem. Associated and Petit RC has plenty of setup sheets for the cars on their website that have really helped out.

Hope some of this helps you out.