R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - The future of stock brushless motors?
View Single Post
Old 03-01-2017, 07:42 AM
MUDVAYNE
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 88 (100%+)

I’m going to throw my .02 here. I’ve been doing this since the early 90’s, way back when the brushed motor endbells were locked. If you really want to solve this issue, have ROAR pick a motor manufacturer and have the endbells locked and fixed so that you can’t screw with it, and make sure they can keep the price down to around $50-55 dollars and keep the ESC’s on blinky. Also, have it up for review every year at the same time to give the motor manufacturer’s a fair shot.
We had our local fast guy run last Sunday with the new Motiv motor and he went from a hot lap of 8.9 down to 8.5’s and 6’s, just by changing the motor. So now guess who’s going to be spending more money? The rest of us.
IMO, we have went from spending $45 on a good brushed motor to $150 on up for a good brushless motor. Someone stated in this thread that they were spending the same amount for brushed motors back in the day. I have to disagree with that. I remember running the same green machine motor (I think) for the better part of a year and was competitive. The only thing I had to do was true the com every so often, and replace the brushes. I bet I didn’t spend over $70 for a motor budget for the year unless something new came out and I wanted to give it a try.
If I had my way, we would keep the battery technology and go back to brushed motors. I’m sorry but brushless motors haven’t saved the hobby, they’ve killed everyone’s checkbook.