R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - The future of stock brushless motors?
View Single Post
Old 02-27-2017, 03:36 PM
DesertRat
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by starrx
well all I got to say is we had 15 usgt cars at a club race....10 out of the 15 had the newer style motors...from TSR..MC2 & so on....I TQ'ED & won with the old Motiv motor...so I would say its more then motor...its driving & setup..& when I say setup...I just don't mean chassis..i mean radio..esc also...I work on my car all day until I took TQ in the 3rd round & the win in the main....all I'm saying is you can close the gap if you work on other parts other then motor...IJS
You act like the motor you were running was some old piece of junk. Motiv didn't even sell motors until mid 2015. You won a race against club racers running modern motors with a modern motor that pushed the rules at the time to the ragged edge and probably set you back $120 when new, if you didn't buy one that was special in any way, and that's the problem.

RC motors shouldn't be considered a cheapo bargain at 'only' $100 and shouldn't be noticeably slower than a new motor when its replacement comes out after only 8 months. To put the leaps in motor tech we have weathered into perspective, the 27 turn brushed Trinity P2K came out in 1999, I think, and the Paradox in 1996 if I remember correctly, both motors were perfectly serviceable and in classes even better than brand new 27 turn stock brushed motors nearly a decade later when the transition to brushless motors became law. Why? Because the rule book was as rigid as a steel beam and didn't allow people to read between the lines.

Teams and manufacturers also shouldn't be able to test and segregate out "sweet" motors and charge double for them. Every motor should be a sweet motor, not just the ones you pay $200 for, and yes, I have seen racers fork over two Benjamin's for a 17.5.

I know I've said earlier in this thread that we can expect the advancement of motor tech and power to slow down as the rules are finalized, but I hope it comes soon. Since the death of Boost which kicked off the hardware battles we have gotten so jaded to Motor of the Month that Starxx stated without irony that a nearly new motor like a Motiv M Code is "the old Motiv" and proof that you don't need a new sweet motor to win. I have a never soldered up LRP X12 21.5 that hails from the Bush administration and I will send to anyone who claims they don't need a new motor to win. Its a quick way to make your touring car feel 300 grams heavier.