R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - The future of stock brushless motors?
View Single Post
Old 02-22-2017, 06:31 PM
niznai
Tech Elite

I think controls work very well if racers accept that winning a competition is meaningless when you have some sort of unfair advantage. Look at the ETS series with their slow stock motors and fixed gearing (we could simply adopt fixed gearing, by the way - not a solution to all problems but a limiting factor at least to the range of motors).

Which would certainly need a different value for each track of course.

Not being a spectator sport like F1, we can't motivate manufacturers to abide by and support rules, so it all comes down to what we are willing to accept. Well, right now it looks that we are happy to accept a money war. Unfortunately a money war is only going to run more people out of the hobby. We might snap out of it when we are the only ones left on the track. Or not.

Personally I just accept that my six year old motors are not going to be the fastest, so I can peacefully focus on my racing lines and do the best I can with that (they are at best about 1/2s to at worst 1s slower on a 18s lap track, so not too shabby). I have zero interest in stuffing the pockets of the manufacturer with my money because another motor is the flavour of the month. Been there, done that, not again, thank you very much. After all, you are racing against yourself.

But that is a problem of racer attitude, no manufacturer or regulating body can be blamed for that.

Sure, they aren't going out of their way to support me/you, but manufacturers are in it to make money, and regulating bodies are, oh well - you.

Good on the ETS organisers for their massive success, and good on all the little people who participate for being good sports and accepting values which we lost along the way.

Last edited by niznai; 02-26-2017 at 06:47 PM.