R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Tamiya XV-01
Thread: Tamiya XV-01
View Single Post
Old 02-05-2017, 11:10 PM
4roller
Tech Addict

Default More XV-01T Stadium Blitzer style

Today I got to run the xv-01TC-T with a fitted body and large tires. A little slice of the wheel well edges removed any lexan rubbing with tires. I also removed the foam from bumper, surpised to find the sub-bumper doesn't rub. I think it looks pretty good. Body high, similar look to the older TA02T's.

Driving impressions:
With 72/32 gearing and a silver can motor, acceleration is acceptable, the slipper does engage. There is a decent amount of top speed too. however, the motor after 15 minutes ran pretty hot, heavy large diameter tires are hard to spin up. I think a heatsink, fan and smaller pinion will help. Most recently I had switched over to the Yeah Racing 55mm dampers, 300cst (~30wt), 2 hole pistons, using their 'red' (same spring rate as Tamiya's red) firmness springs. Body roll is very evident, and manifests it self in medium to high speed turns as traction roll flipping. My poor unpainted body already has scuffs through the overspray film. Every time I traction rolled, the car would surprisingly come back onto its tires.

To remedy, or rather greatly reduce traction rolling, I switched out the springs for Tamiya's firmest whites in the front (same spring rate as the silvers in the picture) and blues (semi hard ) in the back. Traction rolling became power sliding during high speed cornering. Only the most severe cornering and catching an edge would result in a flip. I think by increasing damping with heavier oils (40wt+), and/or lowering ride height a couple millimeters, traction rolling will be almost gone. I had achieved this with my other setup, 95%, and that's with a faster motor.

Off road, the tires kick up some dirt, the chassis floats over the rough stuff instead of getting stuck like TC sized tires tend to. Rolling over medium height grass isn't an issue anymore! I think this is where this setup would shine, some light dirt trails or gravely parking lots. The little rocks that might have thrown your standard xv-01 up in the air are now meager pebbles under the larger tires.

It's amazing how switching from semi soft to firm springs in the front dramatically changed the cars turning capabilities. I think a light modified brushed motor would be perfect, 16T double or triple would give it ample top end and just a little more torque to make acceleration lively.

All in all, I think this configuration of the xv-01 is a loads of fun. Now if only I could cover up that exposed motor

Last edited by 4roller; 02-05-2017 at 11:22 PM.