R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Speed Run Electric (All Classes Welcomed)
Old 01-18-2017, 06:03 AM
fdjizm
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by tc4basher
You gonna power that with a hobbywing?!?! ��������
I don't see why not, till I pick up an XLX at some point. Though the motor does have me worried a bit on any ESC. may end up with something less beastly.

Originally Posted by Gunner1
Thats pretty big. What KV did you order. Those usually have a pretty heavy watts load.
1440 kv, it does have a max 441amp draw so I may end up with a smaller version or a leopard 5682 they pull 152 max from the specs. yea this baby might be TOO big lol.

Originally Posted by Dr_T
That's a pretty hefty motor, awesome! 1717 motor has same mounting pattern as normal 40/42 mm diameter motors, so probably won't fit, even if you shim the mount up for the 58 mm diameter. Looking forward to seeing more of your build and indeed also curious how that HW ESC will perform with the big TP motor. 6-pole means it's less likely to cog at low speeds with tall gearing, but trade-off is that, theoretically, the higher ERPM results in higher "high-RPM losses", both in ESC and motor, and you might run into the ESC's kv limit earlier. Also be sure to have some badass batteries, as that motor will suck up a lot of Current .

Compared to you, I have just a "baby"-sized TP5660 6D (~1500kv) in my buggyfied GT2 - see video below. I looked into the Kershaw mount too, but I decided to get a custom 56 mm diameter motor mount from Koval because it is better quality (I have a Kershaw 1/5 scale Rampage XBE mount in a 1/5 buggy as well for comparison) - see link with contact details in post below, can't seem to get link correct into this post... Anyway, I crashed my car before I could really get a feeling for the speed of the TP5660 on 8S, but it's up-and-running again; only thing lacking is a good place to drive it now.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Insides of Leopard 58110-950kv vs TP5670-1195kv: the TP motors have very dense copper wiring, which makes them able to carry more Current.
Thanks for the info & pics man, your setup looks real nice! it's a handful for sure! lol
I am going to contact Koval and see if he can make me something special for my car
The mounts actually measure 35mm across and if I tilt the motor I can make the 30mm spacing match up which measures up against my xo-1 motor. All is a moot point though since I want to get a custom mount anyway. I am considering the leopard 5682 because of the much lower amp draw compared to this monster I bought out of sheer excitement and not thinking it through much. I am going to upgrade to an XLX at some point but I am not sure I am going to run this motor anymore lol. Hobbywing hasn't let me down yet but the castle is a better piece for sure and datalogging would be cool.
For batteries I am hoping this little guy is up to the task, I am sticking to 6s.