R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Will 21.5 Brushless be the new stock?
View Single Post
Old 12-15-2016, 12:16 PM
tobyzhang
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jlfx car audio
Tsr
Motiv code2
Team powers
R1 v15
Fantom v2
That's my list
Did the motor performance really change that much over the years in 21.5? Just honestly asking since I'm not into 21.5. The V11 R1 and the V7 R1 are very similar in overall performance for me in 17.5 even though design is 2 years apart and my v7 is very much competitive. I know newer short stack 17.5 are indeed a little faster but for me the difference between a gen 1 reedy sonic on a large TC track is about .3 on a 13.8 second track for me. Yes the .3 a lap is a very significant difference in racing but that's a motor designed 5 years ago. Recently after introduction of short stack the motors didn't get appreciably better for me after that. I know I'll still buy fresh motor for big race every year just so the stators and magnets in there are fresh but new vs new I don't see a big difference in past two years.

I'm not saying the newer designs are not faster. I do feel R1 v11 is more refined and overall improved lower end a lot without loosing top end vs v7, but it didn't blow the V7 out of the water or anything. Maybe I'm not skilled enough to appreciate the difference?

I feel lots of time people complain about motor difference in a class blah blah blah. But not many people look at how much more speed the faster guys were able to carry into and out of corners and how much sooner they can step on it before your car can. Just a thought.