R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Team Associated SC5M Thread
View Single Post
Old 12-13-2016, 12:58 PM
Bartman42
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Azzkikin
Originally I ran buggy towers front and rear along with buggy shocks. But I did not like the limit I had with the front shocks and springs not providing full travel. So I went to the truck front tower and shocks.

On the rear, the tower and shocks locked me into using the inner holes on the arms and outer holes on the tower. I was not able to really get much adjustment with shock placement. But by using the buggy tower and truck shocks, I can run the shocks on the inner most hole on the tower and outer hole on the arms. By doing this I have a much more progressive spring rate and allows more rear body roll. I have 1mm limiter in the rear shocks and 2mm in the front. At this extreme shock angle, the rear wheels have a lot of drop, so they never leave the ground under hard braking into the corners. The heavy front sway bar is providing my truck from rolling too much and removes the traction roll issue.

Another thing to note about my setup, I am running Pro-Line PowerStroke springs front and rear. They are AE shocks though. The reason I run them is to move the shocks completely through their range. I find that with most springs that when I run full stroke, they don't extend the shocks to full droop. By running a very soft spring as the primary and a harder secondary spring, the primary spring runs collapsed until in the air or when an arm drops lower than the secondary spring expands. The primary spring will extend the arm down to full droop. This helps a huge amount in the air. If running only a single spring, the arms will fall/drop further than the spring will extend. So if one arm is freer/or less resistance than others, you land having one wheel touching before the others. And with a dual rate spring setup and progressive shock position, I have a very soft landing but still a stiff enough setup to reduce rough take off and landings from huge jumps. Which OCRC tends to lean towards.

This week I'll be putting in the VRP 'XV2' Pistons front and rear and see how those work.
Very detailed explanation and it actually made since lol. Thank you... I'm curious to see your setup too. I run on a large med/high traction indoor clay with the same ride heights and very similar tires (a tad more tread on rear tires). My springs do touch at full droop with the stock towers but I'm not sure they would with the buggy rear. Does your track have a long straight? I would think with the rear upper shocks being in so far, the rear would roll back and forth under hard acceleration??