R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Tamiya XV-01
Thread: Tamiya XV-01
View Single Post
Old 12-10-2016, 10:32 PM
haplm
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by 4roller
That is a nice looking retro body. Is it a Datsun? Those decals are cool.

What makes this carbon fibre chassis different than your previous one?
Thanks! Yes, it is Datsun 240z. The painting scheme is vaguely inspired by this car :-), decals are stock.

What's changed:
  1. Bottom plate is wider before the rear diff housing, so shorty pack can be attached perpendicular instead of parallel, and ESC + light controller have enough room to be placed next to each other in front of the battery
  2. Bottom plate is narrower where the a-arms are, so ±28mm ride height can be achieved without milling
  3. Bottom plate has better shape for mounting Dusty Motors dust cover
  4. Upper plate has 2 areas in the front where it is narrower than before, which allows unrestricted travel of steering linkages. This is necessary as servo/steering is mounted differently compared to the original setup
  5. Upper plate has a hole for channeling cables to the bottom plate
  6. ESC fan can be mounted on the upper plate
  7. Added/moved service holes (for servo screw and belt protector screw)
  8. Removed old battery mounting point

I also have custom damper stays (both front/rear) that accept 85mm shocks, which are necessary (at least in the rear)) to achieve the desired ride height.

All these things will make a quite different car, I believe, but that is still to be seen. Right now I need to come up with non-leaking differentials :-). I hear you, 4roller, with pretty much open rear diff, and that is what I'm trying to achieve. Recommendation for our races is to have 1k or 2k in the rear, and 3-5k front.

I don't have the electronics either, as I'm waiting for Sanwa Super Vortex Gen.2 ESC and Sanwa MT-44 radio to become in stock. So in the meantime, I'm rebuilding my other cars...