R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Will 21.5 Brushless be the new stock?
View Single Post
Old 12-07-2016, 02:18 PM
Eddie_E
Tech Regular

I think some of the sponsored/pro drivers are missing the point about mixing in with intermediate and old/ new drivers.
The reality is that most of our tracks are narrow one line tracks and driving too far off the race line picks up all the marbles, paint chips and stray body clips. Running 17.5 TC and 1/12 scale, everybody knows they are supposed to move over when a fast guys comes up. This is correct and I pride myself on letting anybody who catches me with decent speed to pass cleanly. The problem I have is fast/pro drivers who go into slower classes where they can lap club racers every 3 or 4 laps and they bitch and scream like little babies if they have to wait 1 or 2 corners before someone lets them by. This also means the guys who pull over have to drive a full lap on that slippery mess before the tires clean up again. Tracks who vacuum often aren't quite as bad, but they are rare.
I realize that USGT wasn't created as a new driver class. I was on here when the original idea was discussed. The biggest draw was being able to race a body that wasn't a Mazda speed 6. In my mind all TC bodies are a speed 6.
The 21.5 motor however was to keep pro drivers out of USGT and more importantly keep average drivers out of the way of pro drivers in 17.5 TC who are preparing for specific events like Snow Birds, Vegas, the Gate etc.

Keep in mind that off-road carpet and turf doesn't have the same loss of traction when you let someone pass. Mini-pins clean up really fast and still have mechanical grip. So don't whine if mid level drivers leave VTA and USGT after being run out of all the slower classes and buy 2wd buggies to run on turf.