R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - 1/10 On-Road Racing - How cheap can it be done? Lets get new drivers hooked.
Old 11-20-2016, 02:08 PM
1/4milecrazy
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by longuylander
This right here is the problem! For one, why would you do that to your kid's car, instead of letting your kid enjoy tinkering and playing with the car, rebuilding the shocks? Second, why in the world would you spend the money on ceramic bearings for an intro class, intended to be inexpensive?? If your kid is just getting into the hobby, s/he will never notice the difference ceramic bearings provide.

These things go directly against the spirit of such an introductory class. The goal shouldn't be winning at all costs, it should be having fun at only a little cost. Once your kid understands enough on taking care of his/her car, can drive a clean lap, and feels like the challenge is waning, your kid can decide to move up to another class or stay having fun with friends. Perhaps the entire group of friends can move to a new class together, making room for other newbies.

It was more hypothetical, simply because I will never have kids. But it was mainly to prove a point. I wouldn't do it, like I said, I'll never have kids and if I did they wouldn't race in an entry level introductory class. They would practice until they were able to run a regular class. But sitting here lecturing me like your'e my father doesn't change the fact that a RTR class is not going to help the hobby. It would be just as helpful as putting ceramic bearings in a RTR touring car.