R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - 1/10 On-Road Racing - How cheap can it be done? Lets get new drivers hooked.
Old 11-20-2016, 09:07 AM
30Tooth
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 1/4milecrazy
Don't get me wrong, your idea would probably be great at your home track, and if it would work I am all for it. Especially if it will bring new people into the hobby. I am not arguing about what would work where you are. I am talking about the grand scheme. R/C racing is suffering all over the country. It desperately needs to be fixed. And I personally think that cheap entry level classes are not the way to do it,

A bunch of friends and I went to one of the area on-road tracks, CRC carpet on a super smooth subfloor. Great facility. My one friend brought his son along and a Tamiya M-05. The kid barley did 3 laps in one Q and 5 in the other. Kept pulling the car off because it was undriveable. Everyone else had modified M-05s that followed the TCS rules and they were fast and looked like fun. But nowhere near box stock cars. Had tons of money in them. Might as well run a VTA car for the money spent on the M-05s.
The box stock cars are a quick "fix", they get some people in for a while. What would bring more people in would be a embracing mindset, competitive and fun racing like you say. Here we are still building that so we welcome any driver. Of course my case can't be used as a silver bullet but we as a whole will figure something. Like all sports if it isn't fun then it will shrink.