R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - 1/10 On-Road Racing - How cheap can it be done? Lets get new drivers hooked.
Old 11-16-2016, 11:58 PM
Nerobro
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by gigaplex
I'm more interested in preventing pay-to-win mindsets, than lowering the minimum requirements to enter. Retaining membership is an easier problem to solve than enticing brand new racers.
Churn is bad. So is a lack up new player uptake.

Suddenly i'm interested in how often new people show up to tracks. While churn is bad, "low new signups" is worse. HAM is dieing due to this. Paintball survives based on a new player fast progression system. A typical player is in, and either is out, or has become someone like me, in 4 years.

Originally Posted by Zerodefect
Then make the class, hopefully an existing class as we have too many, cost controlled.

Set limits on motor and battery prices, use a spec tire. Tech inspection is a copy of the receipts.
Having to carry documentation on your car. That would be a pain. Still, it's an idea.

Originally Posted by Set
Forget about spending money to get it "started", in reality you need to spend a lot upfront and not even knowing you're going to like this hobby or not, unlike a PS4 you cannot test this in a mall.
Funnily enough, you can, in a lot of expensive hobbies, do just that. Wanna go skiing? $20-40 and they'll rent you the gear for the day. Wanna try slot cars? $15 for the day. Wanna play paintball? it's $10 or $15 for rental gear. How about Scuba Diving? You can rent that too. How about going shooting, $20-40 per gun, and you've got a toy to use on the range. Heck, if you want to fly a plane you can do that for $130. Rock climbing, I can rent that as well. Even racing is more accessible, I can head down to one of the four local cart tracks and run for all evening for $120. For the cost of getting into VTA, I can run most of a race season at K1.