R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Tamiya XV-01
Thread: Tamiya XV-01
View Single Post
Old 11-08-2016, 09:53 AM
haplm
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by 4roller
Back in the days of my AE rc10, I found the Teflon coated dampers were great and their selection of springs was awesome. I had like 10 pairs in all different colors and stiffnesses. My favorite were the soft green ones. I am not sure if they fit on road style dampers though. They may have been a larger diameter. RPM also made some good stuff too, but mainly for off-road.
Selection of springs for these shocks is simply superb. Somebody even took time to compile the list. It is slightly outdated, but you can actually find even more springs (not less) today.

What you need for 75mm shocks are 45mm front springs. Team Durango does great set of soft ones, and then if you need something a bit harder, TA soft and medium set continues. Avid also does some good sets.

Next thing I've got are tapered pistons with 3 and 4 holes. They allow the shock rebound faster than compress (or vice versa, if you want), which is a nice feature too.

I'm using selection of Hudy shock oils. They start at 100 cSt, and I have them all the way up to 900 in 100 increments. Since it is cold outside, I'm driving over stuff at home, recording it on 240p camera to see what's happening with different number of holes in pistons, springs and oil. Not much fun, but tells a lot.