R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - TLR SCTE 3.0 Thread
View Single Post
Old 10-31-2016, 03:05 PM
Thunder Trail
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Casper
Spring diam has nothing to do with it. It is material, and coils mean more. Yes larger diam wire will change spring stress some but there is something else going on here. Will chat with Frank about this some. I have been running 22 shocks on my truck for most of the year and have not had ride height issues like you are having at all so it is not diam of springs at all. Also the weight of the truck is not the issue either. The spring can support the weight with rate and stroke or it can't.
I thought the springs were big enough before I experienced these issues. I sent Frank my first set of red springs that were sagging bad with one side way more than other. I think I had 4 lipos on them, I didn't get a response on what he thought after looking them over.

I know your right about the material and that does seem to be the issue. However, the larger 2.0 springs don't seem to have these issues and wire size is about the same. I expect new springs to have some settling, but this has been beyond normal and it never seems to stop. Gets lower and more uneven after every run. The front springs seem to be less of an issue, but same problem. About 3-4 lipos before I notice fronts are not at ride height.

I think its a problem more wide spread than anyone will admit. Its not about the money I have wasted on these springs, its about the frustration of not being able to get a proper fix from Losi. No matter how great the truck is the springs make it useless after a few runs.

IMHO, We need a few TLR Team Drivers to grab a 3.0 kit off the self and do a ground up build with the sole purpose being to identify quality control issues. Identify Mistakes in the manual, number or letters on parts bags and everything a fresh builder would experience. Then have these same TLR guys track test it 25 lipos with inspections after every 5 runs. Checking ride height, take springs off the truck and testing them with a spring tester.

Additionally, they need to confirm the other things we, the end users, already identified for free. Wrong part number in manual for lower spring cup on rear shocks, Bag ID markings, holes off on chassis braces, too soft material on front bumper mount, lower shock screws are too short, upper shock standoff material weakness, No instructions for using the shims to get proper backlash on ring and pinion, No instructions for the 3 degree plate option, diff screw problems, rear hinge pins too short, binding on rear arms and anything else associated with shock springs.

Things are different on this side of the fence. TLR guys at the top are not dealing with or experiencing the frustration that comes with these problems. I'm sure many TLR guys are racing the 2.0 or a pre-production truck that is not an off the shelve kit like we have.

Again, Big thanks for any help you can provide. We just want to fix it