R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Castle XLX vs. XL2
View Single Post
Old 10-29-2016, 11:50 PM
Uguessedit
Tech Initiate

Default What?

Where do you come up with such blatant misinformation about the Hobbywing Max 5? You couldnt be further from the truth? Lmao!! Seriously and you make up some KV numbers? I really hate reading stupid worthless comments like that and it doesnt have anything behind backing it up. I run many of the Max 5's and run higher KV than that on 8s without any issue at all. First of all you need to know how to gear a motor and understand max rpm and keep within the scope of the motor and esc. I run a 1:1 ratio on a 1640kv and with 8s and no issues. I run a 1.25:1 ratio on a 1700KV motor on 8s with no issues. I can guarantee my XL2 will melt down or drowned under water in either one of my applications. Quality motors, batteries, along with the Max 5 will give you excellent performance. Id suspect whatever you had going on was a connector or user end issue of some order that had nothing to do with the ESC. Or your blabbing the mouth off from whatever some blurb that came out of another persons mouth that was in turn a blatant lie, or again, end user error. Comments like that are what make the internet undafe for new members and hobbyists trying to learn and find what works. Some people love Castle so much they will say anything. I own both and many more as a Hobby store owner and reseller i have experience in many of the product lines out there and while Castle does great advertising they certainly are not the best. They work well in my day to day bashers however anything i am serious about running they do not typically get used. It isnt always how much you spend that gives you the best performance. I tend to veer toward whats been thoroughly tested at our shop and find combinations appropriate for those particular builds and the Max 5 is an all around great choice for 1/8 and 1/5 applications. We even have a couple 1/10 scales that use them. Please for the sake of the hobby dont generalize a product even if you had one defect you experienced. Because if we did that I would have to call Castle junk. Good luck.

Originally Posted by Dr_T
Interesting, thanks for sharing. There's little real-life info around on the HobbyWings being used successfully for speed stuff.

Lizard tried an Alien Power System 8S 250A Gen3 once, but wasn't very impressed: http://www.rc-monster.com/forum/show...848#post428848

SkyRC Toro Beast seems to struggle with some issues as well: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...2573823&page=2