R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - 2017 MOTORAMA US ELECTRIC OFF ROAD CHAMPIONSHIPS PRESENTED BY SCOTTY ERNST
Old 10-25-2016, 12:13 AM
Scotty Ernst
Tech Master

Default 2017 MOTORAMA US ELECTRIC OFF ROAD CHAMPIONSHIPS PRESENTED BY SCOTTY ERNST

Hello everyone,

For those of us that have been part of Motorama each year, we look back and wonder how it is possible that the year goes by so quickly and the registration day is quickly before us. That is again the case for the 2017 Motorama.

************November 1st at 12:01am ***************
is the time registration opens up and you will want to make your entry as soon as possible on that day.

A few years ago I was asked to join the Motorama team to help with the RC Side of this fantastic event. When I joined, our goal was to give racers the coolest experience they could have. An RC Race surrounded by thousands of dedicated race fans and give you the racers something other than just another race. You get to be part of a motor sports show that has grown to have over 50,000 spectators and participants.

In our goal to improve the racer experience, it has created a problem. We have more racers who want to join the event than we can possibly fit into the Motorama Schedule. We all feel bad that not everyone will be able to join us, but there is unfortunately nothing else we can do. So we again remind everyone to make your entry as soon as possible on November 1st to have a chance to join us.

Our schedule will be similar to last year to try and make the weekend flow better for everyone. We will have practice on Friday morning and afternoon and then a qualifier on Friday night. Followed by 2 qualifiers on Saturday and some mains Saturday night followed by more mains on Sunday. We will run Double mains with bump ups to give more racing and the best experience we can.

Here is the basic schedule.

Friday 8am Open,Practice starts at 9am via heats w/extra line. 4pm Track closes and drivers meeting. 5pm Qualifier #1 then resort
Saturday 7am Open- 8am Qualifier #2 then a Resort Followed by Qualifier #3 After Q3 we will run some mains.
Sunday Open 8am- Mains start at 830am followed by awards. All racers in the A Mains and the Winner of the lower mains will receive an award.

Entry fee for the first class will be $80 and 2nd class will be $70. This includes your Motorama entry pass for both days as well as general parking.

1/10th Track Hosted by the one and only Charlie Suangka
Through the years, we have used the soft clay for the 1/10th track. This clay is stored outside each year and in the elements of the weather which causes it to get very wet. Frank and his team have worked harder than you guys could imagine each year to try and shape,mold and prepare the surface into the best condition possible but due to the severe moisture in the dirt each year it was less than perfect.

We have discussed this with the owner of Motorama and we will be changing the dirt in the 1/10th track for 2017. This will of course create another problem as we do not know how it will pack together and of course what tires/compounds will work on it. We are all in agreement that we need this change. So as you decide to make your entry for the 2017 MR, We ask that you consider this change and you make your entry knowing that we will go through some growing pains during this new endeavor with the dirt.

Racers will be limited to racing 2 classes this year on the 1/10th track. This will allow the largest number of racers to join us. Each class will have a limited number of entries so if you try to make your entry into a class and it does not allow it, that is because that class is full and you will need to select another class.

We have watched over the past 2 years the amount of racers making class changes leading up to the event has gotten out of control and will not be allowed. What ever class you sign up for is the class you will need to race.

Here are the classes for the 1/10th Track.

Novice
Open 2wd Short Course- Any Turn Motor
Open Stadium Truck- Any Turn Motor
Stock 2wd Buggy
Modified 2wd Buggy
Modified 4wd Buggy

For the 1/8th Track:

It will be a similar format and system as last year. We had our best track and event last year and I am very proud to say that Steve Geist and his crew will again be back and in charge of the race track. We will be offering a new class this year. 1/8 E Buggy Masters. This class will be for racers Over 40 years of age by Feb 17. Over the past couple of years I have had racers asking for this and in 2017 we will offer this class. Just a FYI, Racers are NOT allowed to run Masters and another E Buggy class.

Here are the classes for the Big Track

Intermediate 4wd Short Course
Intermediate E Truggy
Intermediate E Buggy
Expert 4wd Short Course
Expert E Truggy
Expert E Buggy
Masters E Buggy- 40+

Another change we will implement at the 2017 Motorama is the size of EZ Ups you bring to the race. Last year unfortunately we had some very large tents brought and it made it way to difficult to fit everyone into the area, so if you are planning on bringing a Tent/EZ Up. It can be no larger than the 10x10. This is the standard size of most tents and this will allow us to have a safer and more organized pit area and egress/fire lanes.

I am sure you will have many questions and invite you to please email me directly at [email protected] and I will be happy to answer them.

Bob Barry who has been a tremendous help through the years with all the logistic and such will again be helping organize the numbers. He will be happy to help with general questions but any direct question or serious issue needs to be sent to me via email and I will be happy to help. [email protected]

A few reminders. You will need to bring all your own pit equipment. Tables,Chairs,Power Strips,Extension Cords, None of this will be provided and we do not have any extra on hand if you forget yours.

We look forward to seeing many of our wonderful friends and making new ones at the 2017 Motorama.

Thank you very much,
Scotty