R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Question about F1 racing chassis
View Single Post
Old 10-13-2016, 08:24 PM
gigaplex
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by UniRacer
Thanks for all the comment so far.

Just to clarify, if I buy one of the "PROPER F1" racing cars such as Sakura F1, is it legal to race within scale F1 racing rules? I heard many years ago that for pan-car classes, that IRS was normally banned technology.

I am not sure how many championship winning cars have been built by 3 racing. I am fairly confident that if a company such as Serpent or X-ray built a F1 model with proper racing car suspension and the best quality components, then it would be very competitive. Quite simply it will allow better traction to transmit more power through the rear tires. Very important since its a 2WD car after all. I expect more predictable and balanced handling too.

Looking at how much touring car racers put into development of springs, shock tuning, and geometry improvements. We can't neglect the importance of geometry and suspension tuning. Back in year 2000 people were racing HPI RS4, and LOSI street weapon, Express, TA04 etc and thought they were competitive cars. Let's not have a closed mind to looking at improved racing technology.
And yet the much simpler pan cars tend to run circles around touring cars. Complexity isn't always faster. Also, I'm still running a TC3 from the 2000 era and it's still competitive.