R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - 2016 U.S.VTA Southern Nationals in Music City U.S.A.
Old 10-01-2016, 08:51 AM
JustWill75
Tech Master

Default Will Sheffield Race Report.

2016 U.S.VTA+ Southern Nationals in Music City U.S.A.
Sept 22nd - 25th
Thunder RC Raceway
Nashville, TN
The 2016 USVTA Southern Nationals in Music City, U.S.A. (aka Nashville, TN) is in the books. On the 12th year of Thunder RC, this event still holds the title for the largest U.S.VTA event in the World. As always the event dubbed "THE ONE NOT TO MISS" lives up to that reputation with another great race weekend. The Spirit of VTA is strong with this event.

Like every year this special event draws racers from all over the country. Racers from different tracks carpool and hit the road or plane to attend the U.S.VTA Southern Nationals. Its no surprise that so many are asking a year ahead about information for the 2017 event.

Now, on to the race report from Will Sheffield

Thursday, September 22
The doors were opened to allow racers to setup their pit space and get situated. Racers were already waiting at the door ready to hit the track and very excited about being there. Trust me I know because I was the first one there....LOL. Practice started with the old layout which was done to allow asphalt racers and other who have never ran on the CRC Black Carpet. Time to do a little testing and tuning. Later that night the track was closed and as with every year, a new layout is laid down to make sure no home field advantage is present. After five hours of getting ready for the event, the doors were closed. You ain't got to go home, but you gotta get the heck out of here....... LOL

Friday, September 23
The parking lot started to fill up. It's always nice to see license plates from different states! Wisconsin, Florida, Ohio, Illinois, Alabama, North Carolina, South Carolina and Georgia. Even a 18 wheeler was parked outside. (That was me) As usual, the layout down was similar to Vegas, the racers began open practice for 10 straight hours of lap after lap to create a groove in the 95x50 carpet track. The traction was through the roof as CRC black carpet was the new surface this year. This was a new challenge for asphalt racers who make this their first race of the carpet season. But with so much practice time. Everyone slowly got faster as the day went on.

Saturday, September 24
The track opened at 7a.m. to allow racers to get in a few more hours of practice. At 11 a.m., it was time for concourse, group pictures, and drivers’ meeting. All went very well and finished on time before the 1 p.m. start of qualifying. 1st round of qualifying went to VTA. This is a 1-minute single car qualifier. You are on your own with open track and all your peers spectating. This will determine what heat you are in for the regular qualifying rounds. Regular qualifying began with USGT TC 1/12-scale and JR VTA. With almost 20 heats, qualifying went smooth with no problems at all and every one had enough time between heats. After the qualifying half of the prizes were given away due to lateness of the day.

You got to look good racing..........

THE BEST OF THE BEST

Pro Invitational Class sponsored by Novak and DS4L

This was the Pro USVTA class. Invite only 10 racers max. Reedy format heads up racing. Some of the best USVTA racer competed in this and it was a blast to watch. The only way to qualify for this was to

a. must have TQ'd or finished in the top 10 of one of the following events running U.S.VTA rules: Scale Nats(Chicago) Southern Nats(Nashville) Summit Nats(Ft Wayne) Halloween Classic or Summer Slam(Cleveland) Snowbirds Nats(Orlando) U.S.VTA Pavement Nats (FL) or the U.S.VTA National Points Series...other events will be considered
b. sponsored or unsponsored
c. Pre glued HPI VTA wheels and tires as handout
d. handout Novak VTA Boss 25.5, built by Charlie and/or Bob Novak. Built to be as equal as possible. One motor per racer
c. battery will be tech for capacity with the ICharger. NEW Rule is 6000 mah. Must use the same battery, limit 2.
e. simple points system 1-10, lowest amount of points wins. tie breakers will be times and laps
f. limited to 10 racers
g. random sort and starts using all 3 types: rolling, lemans, inverted
h. 6 rounds at 10 min each

I.R.O.C. Pro GT Class sponsored by Gravity RC

This was the Pro USGT Class. Just like the USVTA it was also ran in a REEDY style format of heads up racing. Only way to qualify......

a. must have TQ'd or finished in the top 10 of one of the following events running U.S.VTA rules: Scale Nats(Chicago) Southern Nats(Nashville) Summit Nats(Ft Wayne) Halloween Classic or Summer Slam(Cleveland) Snowbirds Nats(Orlando) U.S.VTA Pavement Nats (FL) or the U.S.VTA National Points Series...other events will be considered
b. sponsored or unsponsored
c. limited to 10 racers
d. 6 rounds at 10 min each
e. must use the PROTOform Chevy Camaro Z28 part#1544-30
f. All included decals must be used or sub with paint

Sunday, September 25
The track opened at 7 a.m. for the last-chance qualifying. This allowed everyone to get in one more run to better their times. After all the qualifying, the main events were set. JR VTA, USGT, TC, and 1/12-scale was single mains to determine the champions from each class. VTA is the dominant class and the national title was going to the racer that could do it with triple A-Mains. With this much competition and the feeling of something special about to happen, the racers took to the track with all they had. After some very good racing and extremely good sportsmanship.

The winners were decided on the track and are listed below.

1/12-Scale A-Main winner: Eric "EA" Anderson

17.5 TC A-Main winner: Eric "EA" Anderson

17.5 TC B-Main winner: Michael Reggio

17.5 TC C-Main winner: Dave Kuhart

Formula 1 A-Main Winner: Mark Miller

Jr. VTA National Title (The Belt): Sean Jackson Jr.

USGT C-Main winner: Mark Thomas

USGT B-Main winner: Tim Moore

USGT National Title: Jeremiah Ward

VTA C-Main winner: Justin Oliver

VTA B-Main winner: Will Sheffield (This guy is Amaizing)

VTA National Title: Cody Armes

PRO INVITATIONAL WINNER
Myron Kinnard

I.R.O.C. PRO GT WINNER
Matt Lyons

All that attended this event had a great time and to be honest I don't remember seeing or hearing not one argument or call of foul play. Nothing but tight realistic door to door racing the whole weekend. We hope to see returning and new racers at next year’s USVTA Southern Nationals in Music City, U.S.A

Thanks go out to Myron Kinnard for Putting on another great even.

I also want to say thanks to Robert Dirla and the entire Thunder RC crew for providing a top notch place to race.

I can't wait for next year..... ( Time to get a Formula 1)