R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Xray XB2 2WD Buggy Thread
View Single Post
Old 09-27-2016, 11:41 AM
Laverychev_Max
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by raved007
I have same problem xb2 and xb4 running with stock piston i know xray shocks is sucks not like losi, kyosho shocks. I only race in one day then my oil shocks was very dark.
You also have a problem with the shock coating? I think most drivers may not notice the same problems, because they do not attentively serviced car. While such damage is affecting the behavior of the car and its competitiveness.

Originally Posted by BentKa
Never seen this before on any Xray shocks, but as some have noted it looks almost like the coating inside is coming off.

I can see this being a possible outcome of running "oversized" machined pistons. Unlike machined pistons which are usually very square with sharp edges the stock pistons are slightly rounded. Hypothetically the machined pistons could damage the inner coating in case of a crash where force is applied to the shock shaft sideways pressing the piston against the inner sidewall of the shock. The combination of very small tolerances, sharp edges of the piston, slightly worn shock guides and excessive force sideways could possibly cause this.

You say you are running the Schelle pistons which I have no personal experience with so I can't comment on the design or outer diameter of them specifically though.

But as mentioned I've never seen this happen to any Xray shocks we have built or used over the years but then again we only run the stock Xray pistons drilled to various hole configurations.

I don't know......maybe buy new rear shock bodies and run the stock pistons to see ?

Kit comes with blanks that you can drill to any configuration you want (like we do).

Bent
At the same time two rear shock body equally erased coating. Shock shafts are not bent, he had no crashs, and this happened in a very short time. We think that this is a problem with the quality of the coating of new shocks bodies, because he used black shock body (XB4) with these pistons for 3 years and all was well. This is not problem with pistons.