R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Associated RC 12 R5.2
View Single Post
Old 09-03-2016, 08:19 AM
RacinJ
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by gee-dub
I am about 1/3 of the way thru assembly and having significant issues with binding. Based on a general search of this (and other) threads, below are some rctech.net take-aways I have found. Any additional input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Rear, Step #2 Shock Assembly: The pivot ball (#4637) has significant binding in the shock eyelet.
This may sound odd but it works for me. Slowly remove and reinstall the shock over the pivot ball until the binding is gone. You an also squeeze the outside of eyelet lightly with a pliers to help free it up.

Rear, Step #4 - Rear Links: The rear drag links, regardless of screw adjustment, bind on both ends. I found a post recommending the Yokomo YRX links as a replacement. Is this the generally accepted solution or should I be doing something with the stock parts?
Before installing the side links on the car, I install the pivot balls then tighten the screws until the the gap in the link is closed. After that I set the links aside for a day or two. Before installing the link on the car, I remove the screw completely and spread the gap with a flat screw driver. Spread the gap until the pivot ball is loose in the link.

Install the links on the car and adjust the link screws so the link moves freely without feeling loose.

Chassis, Step #4 - Side Spring Perches: The coils seem to rub the upper guide and lower trailing link to the point a 'clicking' sound is made as the coils snap into place during compression.
Compress the spring fully onto the perch. If you fell a click in the spring, slowly turn the spring clockwise until the "clicking" stops.

Front Bulkhead, Step #4: Everything: Literally. The kingpins (greased or not greased, lightly polished with 1500 grit), the ball ends, arms. I have a fluted ream on the way to (hopefully) help with some of this. The binding is far past the point I would expect 'normal running' break-in to alleviate the situation.
Heat your reamer with a lighter and ream the pivot balls. This works for me.

If the pivots are still tight, install the pivot balls and work the kingpins around in each pivot. They'll free up nicely.